Thursday, July 17, 2014

Weeds, Corn, and GMO's

Every year we plant corn to harvest as silage for the cows. This year's crop is growing well and so were the weeds. A few days before I took this photo we had our corn sprayed with Round Up. The GMO corn is not hurt, but the weeds do not survive.

Had we not been able to spray, the weeds would have taken over the corn and stolen nutrients, water, sunshine, and fertilizer.


What's real interesting to me is the photo I tweeted out of the sweet corn in my garden when the wind blew it over. Monsanto retweeted it and then I got a few negative comments in return.




The funny part is that the garden corn is Silver Queen sweet corn, and not anything special. What people's perspectives are based on what they've read or heard is not always true. Recently Popular Science put together an article about GMO products entitled Core Truths: 10 Common GMO Claims Debunked. Are GMO plants tested? Should we be worried? I'm about as worried about that as I am mutant cows.

No comments:

Post a Comment